Soulgazer

Soulgazer's "Editor-in-Chief" Application

Posted (edited)

* I do NOT want a Support Staff role: I would be a terrible fit. *
* I am applying to help modernize Onyx's Wiki / Knowledge Base. *

Briefs:
  • Username: Soulgazer
  • Timezone: MST or UTC -7
  • Where are you from? I'm from Florida. I escaped and now live in Colorado.
  • How long have you been a part of Onyx? I began 2 months ago. 
  • How many hours do you spend online daily? It depends. I was at an obscene # not too long ago. Now maybe 1-2.
  • Are you active both in-game and on our forums? Yes, and don't forget Discord.
  • Why do you want to be part of our Staff team? I don't want to be a Support Staff member. Think: Wiki Updater.
  • How would you describe your strengths? I write things that are applicable and accessible.
  • How would you describe your weaknesses? I have a God-given ability to flame. However, when writing: I write in a objective voice, solely about content. 
  • Please describe any experience in leadership roles you have or had: I was a pharmacy manager: Oversaw a team of 7-10 people at my stores.
  • Why should we choose you over another member’s application? Frankly, I'd love to have others interested: More collaboration!
  • Do you understand that if you break rules, abuse powers, or turn out to be a horrendous Staff Member, you will be demoted and might have possible further actions taken against you depending on your actions? Yes.

Read This:
  • In a short paragraph, please explain what you’ll bring to the server with this position and what you hope to achieve: I aim to help solve two problems:
  • Problem #1: Onyx lags behind some of its competitors in the documentation. "Oh look, skill guides from 2018! I bet this server's poppin!" - no one.
  • Problem #2: The community has no clue how to engage with some content without documentation. "I CBA to do Horde without a guide!" - RIP dev time.
  • TLDR: Polish up the forums & make the game more accessible at the same time -- with no developer timer committed. What do you have to lose?

Thank you for your consideration.

Edited by Soulgazer

i like the idea & some guides need to be refreshed yeah but most (skilling guides) dont tbh since the skills are unchanged.

also when one is edited it still shows date of 1st post.

4 hours ago, ext stoner said:

i like the idea & some guides need to be refreshed yeah but most (skilling guides) dont tbh since the skills are unchanged.

also when one is edited it still shows date of 1st post.

First off, thank you to everyone who has commented thus far.

@ext stoner Everything you said is true in the sense that guides with guide content that is accurate in 2020 do not require revision. However, I think that what I was getting at is that --- aesthetically --- we aren't in the same league with other RSPS forums. So, content modernizing (that I intend to do) is maybe: 

• 20% content "creation" (No guide for X currently)
  • 20% content "update" (Out-of-date stuff)
  • 60% content "re-skinning" (Bring Onyx up to a competitive level of aesthetics). 

I'm aware that some of the older players may see my bid and think "well it doesn't make a difference if the numbers are right"

• I assure you, presentation matters to the 18-28 age bracket in 2020.
  • Proof: Not even one person commented on this application until I cut the word count so that it appeared to be not a long read.
  • Younger people want to see things that please them visually or they CBA to read/engage.

Edited by Soulgazer

Tbh seeing how I’m one of the “vets” on the server. Soulgazer hasn’t been on the server long and has made a great name for himself to making guides for dg (which all of use hate it. Don’t lie if you say you like it you know you hate it.) all the way to helping people with just general knowledge of runescape (seeing how a lot of people that come to onyx have never played.) dude has been helpful and deserves the role of guide moderator. 

+1

Soulgazer is a very helpful individual. I have witnessed his abilities in helping other players get through bumps during their leveling or skilling paths. 

+1, having been a new player when I joined onyx (no rs experience in the past), I've heavily relied on the guides, and I found that a lot of the stuff I had been doing is outdated compared to new things. Also, clearly knows his stuff!