Sign in to follow this  
Paramore

Un-cluttering Home & Shops

Posted (edited)

In the two years that I've been playing Onyx (on-and-off), I've seen multiple versions of our beloved ;;home, the near and dear ;;teleports, and ;;shops thrive and prosper from the ever growing server with endless possibilities. Unfortunately, I am saddened to say that this version of ;;home is probably the worst yet,  ;;Teleports are so insanely unorganized, and ;;shops are similar to the both. Today, I'd like to propose multiple things all in one giant post and I'd love to hear your thoughts. 

HOME

First impressions are everything. Edgeville is currently as cluttered as it can get. Let's put this into perspective; imagine being a new associate at a job who's just walked into your location of hire. Upon arrival, you notice that everything seems out of order and that people aren't very acquainted with how/where things go. Everyday is a different struggle due to the lack of organization and it ultimately leaves you with a bad taste in your mouth. This is how Edgeville, to me, feels in it's current state. 

While new players will eventually get the hang of where everything is in Edgeville, we must take into account the very first impression that home gives to all. It's impeccable to rely on new players to join the server to keep it up and running and I feel like these very few changes may help bring and keep new players coming back for more. [Shops will be touched on next. Please bare with me.]

Upon Arrival

cf80b3c8a9985e6579cb8bd0c4507ce1.thumb.jpg.c77d372c5b69023d527e8820c534fffe.jpg

Upon arrival, new players will see multiple things that seem out of place.

1. Pandora's Box: Pandora's Box is in a incredibly stupid spot and is the first thing I noticed when I logged on for my first time in awhile on June 24th. I was stumped that and incredible duo Zio and Dragonkk imagined this to be a good spot to place this large object. I would like to propose that it be moved to a more discrete location that keeps it from blinding new players.9b6015970e23fa44c5f015e657e96ccc.png.392e589f754e95ad61fb15e5cb8c7a12.png 

I believe that the new location for Pandora's box be behind the bank. The spot would be specifically where the un-choppable ivy are. Moving the box here would not only keep the front of the bank from clutter but, it would also make more sense to have it here as it would be out of sight from the new player experience and it also fits the lore of the chest itself. The chest has a possibility of giving you real life money and store credit. Imagine that the bankers are keeping the chest behind the bank to reward the one lucky winner who opens it! I'd also love to see a Banker be beside the chest that doesn't have a bank option and can talk to the player about the contents of the box.

2. Combat Dummies: Combat dummies should not be advertised as heavily as they are at home. They should not encourage players to use them to train all the way to 99 combat. The dummies just look out of place. My proposal is to remove them from home completely and instead place them in the Warrior's Guild.

I believe that placing the combat dummies within the Warrior's Guild is fair as it requires the players to explore the guild itself and it fits the concept behind the Guild. It would encourage more players to invite themselves to the guild and see all that it holds (though most will know already). The two dummies could be moved into the bank of the Warrior's Guild for an alternative method of AFK'ing combat in the one designated Combat minigame that is in the game.

3. Grand Exchange Clerk & Board: The Grand Exchange Clerk is invading the street and is in a decently discrete location; however, it's still oddly placed. I feel as though if it's going to own everyone's belongings, it should be inside the bank more close to the stash that the bankers are keeping. Think of it as an exchange of goods from bank to player (basically what the GE is).

48d09503754e2bf6a608d1893269ddcc.png.75ce31b65de345b695e6d71b0789e5ba.png

I'd propose that the Grand Exchange Clerk and her board be moved where this desk is located inside the bank. This ultimately makes the street less crowded and could potentially encourage players to make quicker choices from Bank-To-ECO to sell their items on the Grand Exchange rather than the Onyx Guide.

Otherwise, if this spot is not good enough, it should be where Pandora's chest currently is.

4. The Portal Nexus: First, I'd like to propose that the Portal Nexus be renamed to the "Teleport Nexus." Secondly, the location of the Nexus is convenient, however, it's on the crosswalks of the Street; this means more clutter on the road.

First, the name change is to allow new players to examine the Nexus and understand that it's only meant for teleporting. "Portal" is just an odd name to give an object that is the all-seeing eye of Onyx. Second, I'd like to propose that the Nexus be moved just a bit further back. The Nexus should be in-between the current Shop Building and the Thieving Building. 

0e49324425025f718f7daf4c8e5ed8dd.png.f6f1a87c2fbf47cabd0cd89bb2426b42.pngMy player is standing in the spot.

After Exploring A Bit

1b48c04b2587b1fd89bdd6e4c1aacbf1.png.81fe0e976bf454dde86d26da63ee3a7b.png
After the player explores home a little bit, they'll begin to discover other things such as shop locations, randomly placed altars, wells, etc.

5. Shops & Their Location: While I do believe that shops are in a great spot, they are not organized. Shops are weirdly placed or unnecessarily placed. A few shops are not needed and a couple are awkwardly positioned next to shops that have absolutely nothing to do with the next.

I propose shops be more spread out, some moved to other locations all together.

Screenshot_4.png.e1f04d1f9b1da6d2da0a56e2f74ec290.png

5a) Robin: Robin is the owner of the vote ticket shop. While it's easy to figure this out by simply trading him, he placed in a location that doesn't fit. Being between the Skilling Shop to the Tokkul Shop, Robin finds himself lost in translation (maybe he asked for too much?). Robin should also be renamed to "Vote Shop" for easier navigation to spend voting tickets.

I would like to propose moving Robin where the Onyx Guide is in the Bank. My reasoning behind this is because the Onyx guide is already located where the other shops are. It's unnecessary to have two different Onyx Guides at home. Robin being moved to the Bank next to the Crystal Chest makes the most sense considering he sells CRYSTAL KEYS. This would potentially encourage Voters to purchase Crystal Keys to bring more Dragonstones, supplies, and Coins into the game for the new players.

5b) Strange Old Man: For someone who is the shop holder for Barrows, why is he here? The Strange Old Man should be moved to the Shack outside of Barrows.

Moving the Strange Old Man to the shack outside of Barrows not only helps people who seek the equipment be able to find it easier, but, it would make obtaining it from the shop much easier to find since he will be in the location he's meant to be. Moving him to the shack should also replace the Strange Old Man that's currently in the middle of the minigame. 

5c) Fidelo: I believe this NPC should be placed beside the Culinomancer Chest. His name should also be changed to "General Store Goods." He sells general supplies and supplies that Ironmen can access. Moving him beside the Chest allows for those seeking the ONE shop that Ironmen can access (in relation to general supplies) easier to find.

Screenshot_1.png.bd4ee4c8bf055a8ac9ed64a859ded803.png

5d) Tokkul Shop & Frem. Shop: The Tokkul shop is such an unnecessary edition to the shop area. He seems so out of place here and doesn't deserve to join the spot of the elites. Similar to my explanation for the Strange Old Man, the Tokkul Shop should be moved to the Tzhaar Dungeon, specifically in the spot that players teleport to when choosing the option.

As for the Frem. Shop, he is just out of place. Move him to outside of the Daggannoth Lair (forgive spelling).

5e) Skilling Guide & Secondary Skilling Shop: Currently, these two shops are not next to each other and are not able to be shopped upon side by side. This inconveniences those seeking skilling supplies and searching for shops that are similar to it's counterpart. 

Putting these shops side by side will allow for more organization of the shops.

Screenshot_2.png.50c92f985aaababf66881a835c4ab24a.png

5f) Max, Loyal Dan, Xuan, Mandrith, & Donation Guide: These shops are shops I consider to be sub-game shops. They each have their own unique uses. I'd like to propose moving them to all be parallel to each other rather than spread out. While they are already close to each other, they should be in a straight line to each other for easier navigation of sub-game shops for those seeking to find the shop they seek. This also makes more room in the back of the room.

Screenshot_3.png.96528722ab7dbcca507865d15ec94871.png

5g) Onyx Guide: Move him to the center of the back room. This isn't hard to describe as to why. He's the only NPC that talks and is incredibly out of place in his current location.

6. Ornate Rejuvination Pool: While this is great to have at home, the number of players that can use it are slim. I understand that keeping it here may increase and hype-up the concept of voting however, it can throw those off who are used to OSRS. Move it near the slayer masters where it can get more traction and make the eyes pop more.

7. Altars & Fairy Ring/Spirit Tree: The Altar of the Occult, Altar of Zaros, and the Fairy ring are in an awkward spot. They just seem out of place in all the wrong ways. I would like to propose moving them near the slayer masters.Screenshot_5.png.1890652e6b8f02b507808ba4f5e4e018.png0857ecc6e29e81ed6e471aa7faaf85f2.png.a1c300c93bd883d3cbbf836d002f7781.png

For the Soul Wars Portal: I feel it'd be best that it be moved back just a little bit from it's current location or else have it facing the wall where the altars are currently. It would fit well behind the wall more than the altars.

And that's all folks. I hope you enjoy these suggestions. I sure hope to see some of them implemented. Feedback is always welcome! Happy playing!

Edited by Paramore

Definitely like this idea, seems like you put a lot of time and thought into this, and most of your points have logic behind them, and would clean up home a bit so defo got my vote

+1